Knowing the right Python interview questions and answers can help you nail your next job interview. A well-informed candidate is more likely to impress a potential employer, which makes you a stronger candidate.
Even if you think that you know everything about Python and are confident in your coding abilities, an upcoming job interview will be a great opportunity to show how knowledgeable you are about this programming language.
In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the most common Python interview questions and answers.
What is an iterable? – Python questions for interview
An iterable is a data structure that can be used within a for loop to iterate over its items.
There are three types of iterables: –
Sequential iterables work with only one element at a time, where Parallel iterables work with many elements at the same time.
When working with mixed iterables, we can choose when to consume the elements. This is important to know when comparing the two types of iterables, as some things can only be done with sequential iterables.
What is Python subprocess? – Python questions for interview
A subprocess is a process that is executed in a separate process. In Python, subprocesses are created with the Popen() function.
When a Python script calls the Popen() function, a new process is created and the script is suspended until the subprocess terminates.
Popen() takes a string that contains the command to be executed in the subprocess as well as any command-line arguments and input/output redirection. You can also pass a list of arguments.
What are the benefits of using Python? – Python questions for interview
– Easy to Learn – Python is easy to learn, but only if you know what to learn. It’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the language’s basic syntax, data types, and programming paradigms.
– Widely Used – Python is one of the most widely used languages in the software industry. It’s used for almost every field of computer science, from web development to artificial intelligence to big data.
– Scalability – Python is scalable. You can write small scripts or large applications with the same syntax, making it easier to maintain your code as your project grows in size.
– Readability – Python code is easily readable. The basic syntax is clear, and the use of whitespaces is common. Moreover, Python has a simple and consistent grammar.
– Portability – The source code of Python can be executed on any operating system. Thus, it’s portable with no dependency on a particular hardware or OS.
– Libraries – Python has a large number of libraries that provide functionality, such as data analysis or machine learning. These are often used in data science projects.
Name 3 common programming paradigms in Python. – Python questions for interview
– Imperative – Python is a procedural language. Generally, languages with an imperative paradigm focus on describing actions to be taken.
– Functional – Functional languages emphasize a “whole is greater than the sum of its parts” approach. They’re typically designed around functions and their input/output relation, without worrying about how to break a large problem down into smaller chunks.
– Object-oriented – Languages that are object-oriented are designed around units called objects that contain both data and the functions that act on that data. Python is an object-oriented language, so it has all three of the above paradigms.
Which type is better: str or unicode? – Python questions for interview
Strings are written using single or double quotation marks and are immutable, which means they can’t be changed once they are created. Strings are often used as a representation of some text.
Unicode on the other hand is written using triple quotes and is also immutable, it is used to represent characters rather than normal text as the Strings can be used for.
How to find out the size of a file in bytes? – Python questions for interview
We can use the built-in function os.path.getsize() to find the size of a file in bytes.
To use this method, you will need to import the os module. next, call the path method and pass the path to the file that you want to find the size of.
Note that this will only work for files that are readable by your script.
How to find the last element in an array? – Python questions for interview
The built-in function array.pop() will pop the last element from an array and return it. You can either assign the result to another variable, or you can use the built-in function pop().
To use this method, you will need to import the array module. next, create a new array by calling the array method and pass the values that you want to be in the array.
Can we use Python to parse HTML? – Python questions for interview
Yes, Python can be used to parse HTML. The built-in function html.parser.Parser() will parse a string and return an object that represents the HTML.
To use this method, you will need to import the html module. next, create an object by calling the parser method and pass the string that you want to parse.
Is there any benefit in using Python 3 over 2? – Python questions for interview
Yes, Python 3 is more secure than its predecessor Python 2. The built-in function unicode.mapping.geterrorstring() will return the error message if the input is not a unicode string or if it contains invalid characters.
To use this method, you will need to import the unicode module. next, call the mapping method and pass the input that you want to check for errors.
What are the different types of Conditional Statements in Python? – Python questions for interview
There are three conditional statements in Python: –
if-elif-else – nested if – while These each have their own specific use cases, so knowing when to use each one helps you write better, more efficient code.
Now that you know what these are and how to use them, you can use these to make your Python code more readable and easier to understand by other programmers.
In conclusion, you should now know what the different types of conditional statements in Python are and when to use each one.
This will help you write better, more efficient code, which will be beneficial for your future projects.
What is the difference between mutable and immutable types in Python? – Python questions for interview
When you are working with data in Python, it’s important to know the difference between the mutable and immutable types.
The immutable type is unchangeable, which means that the value can’t be altered after it is set. An example of an immutable type is a string. A mutable type, on the other hand, can be altered.
An example of a mutable type is a list. When writing code in Python, you may want to use immutable types for some data and mutable types for other data.
Why? Because this will help you avoid bugs that can happen when your code tries to alter data that shouldn’t be changed.
What is immutability and why is it so important in Python? – Python questions for interview
Immutability is the property of an object whereby it is unable to change its value after it has been created. There are three ways to implement immutability in Python,
Using the built-in data types, using union types and using a special type of class called a frozen class.
Immutability is important because it makes it easier to understand the code that’s being used to create a program. There are three ways to implement immutability in Python.
Define python decorators, what are they used for? – Python questions for interview
A decorator is a function that modifies another function. It is used to extend a function’s behaviour without touching the original source code.
It is important to note that a decorator doesn’t extend a function’s functionality. It extends a function’s source code.
Decorators are commonly used to extend the behaviour of a function that is part of an application’s public API.
This is done to avoid having to change the function’s source code. Decorators are one of the many features that are offered by Python.
In addition to extending a function’s behaviour, decorators can be used for runtime type checking, logging, and gating certain functionality based on certain conditions.
Decorators are implemented using a special syntax that’s available in Python.
What are the benefits of using Python over other languages? – Python questions for interview
– Python is easy to read. The syntax is clean and consistent, meaning that it’s easier to read and understand what the code is doing. It’s a great choice for beginners because it is simple enough to get started with quickly, but powerful enough to build more advanced projects.
– It’s a general-purpose language. Python is suitable for a wide variety of use cases. It can be used for web development, data analysis, machine learning, etc. You can even use it for creating desktop applications.
– It’s open-source. You can use Python for free, and you can even contribute to the development of the language if you want to.
– It has a large community. Python has a large and active community, which means that you can find help when you need it. You can also help other people when you’re able to.
What are the downsides of using Python? – Python questions for interview
– It is not as fast as compiled languages. Python is a high-level programming language that must be compiled before it can be executed. This means that it’s not as fast as a language that is executed directly, like C.
– There is a lot of syntax. In addition to the syntax that is used to create the program, Python has syntax that is used to structure the program, create modules, and assign variables.
– It is not as widely used as some other languages. While Python is one of the most commonly used programming languages, it is not as ubiquitous as some other languages.
– It doesn’t have a strong type system. Python doesn’t have a strong type system, which means that you have to explicitly declare the type of data that variables are storing. This makes it easier to make mistakes.
How do you import and export packages in Python? – Python questions for interview
You can import a package by adding an import statement to your program. You can export a package by adding an export statement to your program.
For example, if you want to import a package called my_package, you can add an import statement to your program: import my_package.
If you want to export a package, add an export statement and name the package: export my_package. When you want to import a package, you have to add a path declaration to your import statement: import my_package / path / to / package.
If there is another package that is imported in your program, you also have to add the path of that package to the path declaration.
When you want to export a package, you have to add a path declaration to your export statement: export my_package / path / to / package.
If there is another package that is exported in your program, you also have to add the path of that package to the path declaration.
Which type of variable should you use in your code base? – Python questions for interview
There are two main types of variables in Python – mutable and immutable. We have discussed these types above. Mutable variables are the type of variable that you can change during the execution of a program.
You can use mutable variables when you are working with lists, dictionaries, or other data types that allow you to change a variable.
Immutable variables are the type of variable that you cannot change during the execution of a program.
You can use immutable variables when you are working with data types, like strings, that do not allow you to change a variable.
Which type of data structure should you use in your code base? – Python questions for interview
There are two types of data structures in Python – mutable and immutable. Immutable data structures are those data structures that cannot be changed once they have been created.
Mutable data structures are those data structures that can be changed during the execution of a program.
These data structures are very important in Python because they provide a foundation for many types of programs.
You can use them to store data, perform mathematical calculations, and create new data structures from existing ones.
We hope this article helped you understand the importance of Python and the difference between mutable and immutable types in Python. Keep reading to learn more about the different Python interview questions and answers.